Basic, Affordable Comms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic, Affordable Comms

Ok, so I am by no means a "power searcher" and my search for a basic radio set have returned half the forum as results.

What I need:
    2 Radios w/ some kind of headsets
    Enough range to be effective at a place like 5J, and to atleast be fairly clear over half the distance of Harwood.
    Less than $150 for the pair.

What I do not need:
    A $150+ EACH radio setup (Icom, Sabre, etc).
    Interchangeable antennas.
    Enough power/range to talk to the ISS mission.

I want one of you guys who uses a brand like Cobra, Motorola, Uniden, etc who has a pair of radios they bought and seem to work really well for the price. My wife and I want to join the fun more often, but I hate not having comms of any kind. However, we don't go to the major stuff like Bulldog or the RDG series, so we don't need anything crazy.

And don't give me the old LMGTFY stuff, I've read enough reviews online to melt my eyeballs. I want to hear from the guys here who have used them in the fields here in TEXAS.

Thank you and come again!!!
    Last edited by BulletMagnet; 11-06-2012, 04:17 PM.
    "The very existence of flame throwers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"

-George Carlin

I have been using a midland base camp radio for a few years and it has awesome range. It reaches all the way across tactical paintball at harwood. It takes regular batteries as well as a rechargable battery that is also inside. Has a crank to recharge it or any usb device, NOAA radio, regular am fm radio, can monitor two channels at once. I would say it is probably the best thing you can get for the price. They also accept all midland accessories/headsets.

The only down side is they are not a hand held. I carry mine in a standard horizontal utility pouch or in my hydro carrier depending on which rig I am running.

Here is a link
    http://www.buytwowayradios.com/produ...?ad=4930467289

Also pm me and I will send you a full review that I wrote a while back.
    Texas Ghost Riders

"Victory or Death" William Barret Travis

Comment

You are not going to find a bubble pack radio that will do what you are looking for it to do unless you look for older outdated radios like the motorola t7400, and most commonly a pair will land you around $130, before you start looking at headsets.

You will find that most of us who use ICOM or other higher end radios do so because we could not find something like what you are describing without moving up, most of us DON'T always play at huge AOs, we use what works for where we commonly play.

You can also luck out on places like craigslist, I picked up a functional motorola XTS2500 for $250, that radio will broadcast well over any range I would need it for.
      Airsoft, teaching Americans to fight the child soldiers of Africa since 2006.

R&D Dept.

Comment

I've used Cobra bubble radios and have lent GiantYoda a set on the field too. I never really used them on the field, mostly inside office buildings (for inspections), but he may be able to chime in on something about them.

Here is something I found on ebay within your price range and you get 4(!), maybe sell the other two off here(?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-COBRA-...-/230859824773

Just thought I'd share a bit. Its a daily deal so if you want in on it, you have another 12-ish hours (might be back on sale tomorrow though...they typically change items out every 3 days...)
        "Hey Wesker, I know I just meet you, and I missed the last Crazies, but here's my call sign, so call it maybe?"
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hX7g91s2jY

Only Real Men ARE Pink.

Super-Long-Posts is my middle name.

Comment

All I can add to this is
          I have purchased enough bubble pak radios that dont do what you are looking for that I could have an ICOM already.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-GP6...item3a7b6184b3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-GP6...item3ccc34aef8

You're welcome.
            Does it need to be said? Does it need to be said now? Does it need to be said now, by me? --Craig Ferguson

There may be two sides to every story, but you're still a douche in both of them.

“Of any activity you do, ask yourself: If I were the last person on earth, would I still do it?”

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Advice to all:

If you are going to get coms, save your money and get the good stuff. Nothing annoys everyone more than someone with a cheap radio and headset that can't transmit clearly, keeps bumping their VOX, continually blasts beeping and static across the channel.

This purchase doesn't just effect you, but everyone else.

Edit to add: Yes I have been THAT guy. Don't be THAT guy. Nobody likes THAT guy.
              Last edited by Bullet; 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM.
              When will then be now? Soon.

At the end of the end of the day we are just grown men playing with toy guns.

Comment

I actually had a pair of Uniden radios I got at Wal-mart that cost me $30. The lack of a headset is the only reason I do not use them. They don't make a headset compatible with them either....

Anyways, this pair of radios could reach clear across Harwood and were quite clear. I know there have to be some out there...

I will, however, keep my eyes on Ebay now that I've seen what EG posted... I was not aware those existed. Looks like they are fairly abundant as well.

Judging from the links you posted, is 430 - 470 MHz the correct frequency for what we do?
                "The very existence of flame throwers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by BulletMagnet
                  I actually had a pair of Uniden radios I got at Wal-mart that cost me $30. The lack of a headset is the only reason I do not use them. They don't make a headset compatible with them either....

Anyways, this pair of radios could reach clear across Harwood and were quite clear. I know there have to be some out there...

I will, however, keep my eyes on Ebay now that I've seen what EG posted... I was not aware those existed. Looks like they are fairly abundant as well.

Judging from the links you posted, is 430 - 470 MHz the correct frequency for what we do?
                  Yep. Read JakFrost's post about radios, if you haven't. While it is ICOM slanted, there is plenty of great information.

http://houstonairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9895
                  Does it need to be said? Does it need to be said now? Does it need to be said now, by me? --Craig Ferguson

There may be two sides to every story, but you're still a douche in both of them.

“Of any activity you do, ask yourself: If I were the last person on earth, would I still do it?”

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

It may be too late, but thanks a lot! I found a great wrist radio on http://thebestwalkietalkies.com/wrist-walkie-talkies/. Let's share with found reviews

Comment

Working...
                    X